Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quick Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

I like to mix up my salad dressing right in the bowl before I add my lettuce and other salad fixings. I start with covering the bottom of the bowl with a thin layer of olive oil. Then I splash some balsamic vinegar in there, about 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of oil. I squirt some lemon juice in there, maybe one or two tablespoons worth depending on how much dressing you're making, and about the same amount of honey. You can add salt and pepper if you want, or anything else if you think of it, but I like to keep it simple. Stir this together with a fork or whisk until well combined. Then add your salad and toss it and there you go!

2 comments:

  1. I will try this but generally don't like very many dressings, esp sour ones with vinegar. But come to think of it, I don't mind like creamy Italian. I really rather have no dressing at all then the fat free or diet stuff. Yuck! I'm usually in a hurry and don't want to take time to make dressing and just look for a bottle. But, I suppose there are some bad stuff in the Wishbone? I bought some Annies at Whole Foods thinking that would be better and I will only use a small amount. I thought about making some homemade and keep in the fridge but then I thought what is the difference betweeen that and buying some "organic" stuff from Whole Foods. That would be easier. Well, maybe I should just explore around and find something healthier than Hidden Valley. I will try your recipe and use a little less vinegar.

    I exercised 2 days in a row.....whooopie. If only I could make it a part of life!!!! Keep up the good work!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, with the honey this dressing really isn't too sour, but the less vinegar you add of course it will be less! Annie's has some great dressings too, but I personally have found all the dressings I have tried from WF and other organic types to be too strong for my preference. So this is just what works for me!


    Just for kicks, I looked up the ingredients of Wishbone Ranch Dressing and here are the offending things I see:
    High Fructose Corn Syrup
    Soybean oil (I personally avoid soy)
    MSG
    a whole bunch of preservatives I can't pronounce!

    Yikes! Annie's Organic Ranch has canola oil, is sweetened with regular sugar, and has no preservatives...

    ReplyDelete