Thursday, January 8, 2009

Enchilada Sauce Recipe

About 1/4 cup of coconut oil warm up in a skillet - I like my cast iron skillet for this. Add about 2 tbs whole wheat flour. If you like spicy, you would also add chili powder to taste at this point. Stir and simmer until the flour is browned.

Puree one or two tomatoes and add water until you have 1 and 1/2 cups of liquid. Add to skillet along with one smaller can of tomato paste. (You could also just use plain water and a bigger can of tomato paste, or canned tomatoes...) Season with cumin, garlic, and onion powders, about 1/4 tsp each. Simmer and stir all until the sauce is slightly thickened.

I like to pour a little in the bottom of my rectangular glass dish and then line up my tortillas. I fill with whatever, ground beef, beans, cheese, etc., and then roll the tortillas and pour the rest of the sauce over the top. Cover the whole thing with cheese and bake uncovered at 375-ish until the cheese is melted and the sauce is a bit bubbly, maybe 20 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment