Monday, January 26, 2009

Mon Jan 26th - What I'm Eating

Breakfast: eggs scrambled with cream in a little coconut oil, with spinach and tomatoes

Lunch: the last of the lamb curry, sauce and cous cous...

Snack: half a banana and a piece of ham

Dinner: baked bacon-wrapped kielbasa drizzled with maple syrup, peas, big mixed greens salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Snack: whole wheat tortilla quesadilla with cheese & grilled chicken

Analysis: I didn't do too terribly today, I guess. The dinner entree looks pretty bad, but in fact, it was an improvement over the old way I used to make it, crusted in brown sugar! The little drizzle of maple syrup gave it just enough sweetness, but I will admit I did miss the crusty, caramelized brown sugar a little... You do have to be careful of sausages and hot dogs and the like because they can really contain a lot of bad stuff. We buy the Wellshire Farms brand, which "are made of All Natural pork that is raised free of drugs, chemicals, and growth stimulants. There are no added artificial flavors, colors, food starches, or fillers." They are also nitrate and nitrite free, and have 65% less fat than conventional kielbasa. We get this brand for our bacon also, which comes uncured and preservative free... In fact, we only buy meat products that we feel confident have been raised without hormones or antibiotics, and that have not been treated with preservatives or other additives...there are a lot of brands popping up now, even in the regular grocery store...there is a demand for it, and rightly so!

I have a few grainy things left to finish off and then I am going to go to a majority soaked/sprouted/fermented grain plan, after all that research last night. It might be a little tough to get the hang of planning everything, but once I am done with teaching after Feb, it will be easier because I will have more time...I guess I'll ramp up my efforts slowly until then. I will definitely keep you posted (haha) on recipes and stuff I'm trying with that.

I have a couple more topics in mind for additional posts, so I'll put them out here, and maybe you can comment and tell me what you'd like to hear about first:
book review
fats
milk and dairy
other - you tell me!

3 comments:

  1. milk and dairy. just PLEASE don't say it's bad for me, because i can't live without my cheddar cheese!!

    (btw - j is working from home because of the snow, and he made lots of cheesy garlic bread for lunch. i only ate a 1/2 slice and then made myself a salad. i then stuck a note that said "is this emotional eating? have an apple!" to the tub of pre-made cookie dough he got from costco. it's so hard to be healthy when your spouse isn't!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, milk and dairy it is! i think you can still have cheddar...

    good for you doing your best all on your own! one of these days I'm going to do a post about digestive problems too! I know he thinks he has it all figured out, but maybe I'll find something he hasn't heard before??

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sure you will! and when you do find something, i know he's up for any and all suggestions.

    ReplyDelete